Thanks for sharing your adaptations, Erin! Lay 1 sheet of phyllo … A ‘traditional’ Greek spanakopita is a savory pie made primarily with spinach, feta cheese and a pastry dough. And as a thank you, I will give you a FREE copy of my e-Cookbook to get started! Some browsers prohibit pop ups and videos, so depending on your settings you may not be able to view the video. Please review Nutrition Disclosure. Add two more sheets in the same manner, and brush them with olive oil. You need to brush each of the phyllo layers with a little olive oil (see the video as well). Thank you for sharing your adaptations, Jeanne! Hi, Cecile! What makes this so good is you can use thawed spinach and it doesn't need to be cooked so it tastes fresher - overall the recipe was DELISH - also I used 20 ounces of frozen chopped spinach which probably compensated for not having the parsley. This recipe makes enough filling for two 9-inch by 12-inch rectangular pans or approximately 100 folded phyllo triangles. Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe!!! It turned out amazing. By using The Spruce Eats, you accept our, A Beginner's Guide to Making Phyllo Pastries, Spanakopita Bites: Spinach and Feta Cheese Appetizers, Melitzanes Me Feta: Baked Eggplant With Feta Cheese. I so love having you here! Please join me and our growing community! You only need 7 ingredients to make this Greek spinach pie: spinach; leeks; feta cheese; salt; pepper; olive oil; phyllo; A lot of recipes also add eggs but I really don’t see a reason why. Heat in medium-heated oven until warmed through. TIP #1: For those doing this the first time: I tried brushing the oil on the layers and felt a bit frustrated. Please check your email to confirm your subscription! 2 1/2 pounds fresh spinach (chopped, you can substitute frozen, thawed well), 1/2 cup fresh dill (chopped, or 3 tablespoons dried dill). spinach (washed & dried) 500 gr. ), The Spruce Eats uses cookies to provide you with a great user experience. Put in a colander to drain. Add spinach and water, bring to a boil and cover. The key filling ingredients in a classic spanakopita recipe are spinach and feta cheese. An Elite CafeMedia Food Publisher.Privacy policy. Adapting Greek spinach pie. If using frozen spinach, you will want to cook until excess moisture evaporates. When you are ready, go ahead and bake according to recipe instructions. I was born and raised in the cosmopolitan Mediterranean city of Port Said, Egypt, a "boat ride" away from places like Italy, Greece, Turkey, Lebanon, Palestine and Israel. I had 3 very wimpy layers. Reduce heat to low and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Quality of phyllo (fillo) dough can make or break the recipe! My Greek Spinach Pie is made layered with phyllo, melted butter and the spinach- cheese filling. Roughly chop the tomatoes and put into a bowl along with the spinach, feta and eggs Tip into a sieve, leave to cool a little, then squeeze out any excess water and roughly chop. By subscribing for FREE, you will receive a weekly meal plan, plus new recipes! spinach pie recipes also use feta cheese which is a favourite ingredient in all types of Greek recipes, be it fried, baked or used for stuffing until nicely softened and slightly melty Herb Cheese Pie Ingredients Checklist Ghee – Or use half olive … Spinach pie with Greek salad. Read More about Suzy, Subscribe for FREE and we'll email you a weekly meal plan, new recipes, plus a FREE copy of my. ★☆ Well, in Greece at least, which many would say is the next best thing to heaven! Day 2: Make the Pita (photos) spinach from day 1 (bring to room temp) 1 egg; 2/3 pounds of firm feta cheese Spanakopita makes a great side dish for large holiday dinners next to lamb or lemon chicken. Welcome to The Mediterranean Dish, your #1 resource for Mediterranean recipes & lifestyle. Also, the sheets are so big that I struggled handling them without them tearing, and the ends were difficult to tuck. If you do use fresh spinach, you will need to cook it with the onions and garlic, drain, and let cool completely before mixing the filling. In truth, though I’ve chosen spanakopita because spinach is more widely available than the many other wild and cultivated greens used in similar pies in Greece, you can use whatever quick-cooking leaves you have available: Christina Mouratoglou and Adrien Carré of London restaurant Mazi give a recipe in their book of the same name for hortopita, which uses nettles and cavolo nero as well as spinach, while the Serious Eats … You can keep trays of uncooked spanakopita in the freezer as a handy appetizer or side dish for guests. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Which European country will inspire your culinary journey tonight? Sauté the onions and green onions until tender. A Greek pie made with a filling of spinach with cheese, which is encased in layers of buttered filo pastry, then baked until golden and puffy. I ended up squeezing the spinach by hand a few times until it could no longer produce any liquid. A holiday recipe for make it for dinner! Brush the very top layer with olive oil, and sprinkle with just a few drops of water. If you have not tried Spanakopita before, you're in for a treat! Thank you for sharing, Gara. It's often served in little triangles as an appetizer, or served as a side dish with other Greek-inspired dishes like lamb, dolmas, pita and Tzatziki , a Greek … Hi, Carol! Heat 1/2 cup olive oil in a deep sauté pan or large dutch oven. SO GOOD! -Remember, Phyllo (fillo) sheets will tear, and that's perfectly fine. Layered in between a thin pastry dough. Please, welcome the one and only Traditional Greek Spinach Pie, the famous Spanakopita. Came out well tasted delicious. In Greece, it’s prevalent supply leads it to be the logical choice for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Layer 5 or 6 more sheets of filo brushed with butter on top of the cheese. You'll need to fold the triangles, which is a bit of extra work, but well worth the effort. Hi! If you're not familiar with phyllo dough, it is basically layered sheets of tissue-thin pastry dough, typically found in the freezer section next to things like pie crust and puff pastry. Customize & buy the Tasty Cookbook here: http://bzfd.it/2fpfeu5 Here is what you'll need! It took so long. Spread spinach mixture over the phyllo. Each one was throughly enjoyed. And yes, only use quality feta cheese, no other cheese qualifies for spanakopita. Carefully remove the phyllo roll from the plastic sleeve. It goes SO FAST that way, and it works great. Add the spinach and onion to the feta cheese mixture and stir until well combined. herbs (dill, mint, chives, parsley) olive oil; salt; pepper; oregano; Instructions: Preheat oven to 180°. Thanks for sharing your variation, Silvana! I will definitely do this again. https://www.finecooking.com/recipe/greek-spinach-feta-pie-spanakopita Remove from heat and set the spinach aside to cool. It’s not great- very 2-dimensional flavor-wise. Spanakopita: A Greek Spinach Pie With Feta Cheese. If using frozen spinach, thaw completely and squeeze out excess water. I have made this recipe a number of times and it comes out a smash hit every time. Last updated with new information and photos on 4/15/2019. Thank you! This dish is one of Greece’s best known and is a family favourite around the world. I am a big fan of organic dough from The Fillo Factory. When cooled, cover and continue to drain in the refrigerator overnight. To bind everything together, I used four large eggs. Check your email to confirm your subscription! They provide a certain sweetness which makes the taste a lot better than using spinach only. Which is made with Greek yogurt, eggs, flour, olive oil, and Feta cheese. Brush the folded sides well with olive oil. I ended up chatting with the woman behind the lavish lunch, her name was Yiayia Helen. I think next time I’ll definitely sauté the onions, garlic and spinach first (even with frozen spinach) to give it more flavor- and definitely MORE CHEESE- heck I’d double this filling recipe honestly- but the flavors need work. Therefore, you will rarely encounter a Greek holiday or celebration without one. What is the Mediterranean Diet and How to Follow It, Mediterranean Diet Food List: 5 Foods You Need, Favorite Mediterranean Diet Cookbooks (part 1), « Whipped Feta Dip with California Figs and Marsala Sauce, Jeweled Couscous Recipe with Pomegranate and Lentils ». Greek spinach pie with crispy, golden phyllo and a soft filling of spinach, feta cheese, and herbs. This helps the sheets remain lenient so they won't tear too much. Spanakopita is a delicious savory Greek pie made of perfectly crispy layers of phyllo dough and a comforting filling of spinach and feta cheese. Loved this recipe I didn't have phyllo dough so made a flaky crust and made individual little pockets. Trust me, this is so much easier to make than you think! It's vegan and contains no preservatives; no cholesterol; and no trans fat. You need a good amount of spinach in this recipe, so using frozen spinach is the way to go. I'm quite generous with the garlic and cheese, since I feel like that is where the unique delicious flavor comes from. To make the filling: In a mixing bowl, add the spinach and the remaining filling ingredients. the layers were flaky, the insides were a perfect. It looks like 16 oz = 454g. Cover tightly and refrigerate overnight. It freezes very well and heats beautifully. Required fields are marked *, Rate this recipe I used WAY too much the first time. Thanks for the great recipe! ★☆ Get started today on the world's healthiest Diet!! Combine the melted butter with the remaining 1/4 cup olive oil in a bowl. Spanakopita is a traditional Greek, or Mediterranean dish made of spinach, feta cheese and seasonings, baked in phyllo dough. Before I bake it, I score the pastry with a knife so the baked squares will be easy … (Nutrition information is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered an estimate. And check your spam folder in case you cannot find our email! I ended up adding garlic and a little less feta (the husband doesn't like it very much) and it was amazing! Also sautéing the onions, garlic and parsley first helps cut the ‘green’ taste. Now, evenly spread the spinach and feta filling over the phyllo (fillo) crust. Add half of the spinach mixture to each pan in an even layer and press with a spatula to flatten. I also saute a large box of fresh spinach with coconut or olive oil and then drain it in a collander while I combine the other ingredients. Enjoy. Learn how your comment data is processed. I did use butter in place of EVOO on the phyllo layers, but followed all other directions exactly. Spanakopita can be made as a "pie" or pita, or as individual phyllo triangles. This is not something we can control on our end, sadly. In a medium bowl, mix together eggs, ricotta, and feta. lettuce (washed & dried) 2 scallions (chopped) 2 white onions (chopped) 250 gr. This recipe calls for 16 oz of frozen chopped spinach. Bake until the pie turns a deep golden brown. This post may include affiliate links, Please tell me how many blocks of frozen spinach 300g each I nee for the recipe. I just checked, and it's working here. When I was at an Atlanta-area Greek festival a few weeks ago, my daughter's lunch of choice was a piece of spanakopita and a side of Greek salad. Phyllo dough – In Greece, spinach pie made with a homemade phyllo dough, known as village dough. - Thaw phyllo dough properly; too much moisture will make the dough or sheets sticky and hard to manage. This is my first attempt at making a Spanakopita pie and it was a hit. Cut Spanakopita ONLY PART-WAY through into squares, or leave the cutting to later. Using scissors or sharp knife, cut the sheets in half to make two stacks of 9- by 12-inch sheets. I'm Suzy. Thank you so much to take some time to share your tips, Janell! But it can easily stand alone as the main dish. https://www.themediterraneandish.com/spanakopita-recipe-greek-spinach-pie See more ideas about greek recipes, spinach and cheese, cheese pies. Soft and tender, made with raw fresh spinach, spring onions, dill, parsley, all finely chopped. This is a GREAT spanakopita recipe!! Spinach and feta pie of any kind tastes amazing, and you’d think it was difficult to make, but really it couldn’t be easier. Spanakopita is one of the most famous Greek dishes and is easy to make. 407 Comments. I'm sharing my family's favorite spanakopita recipe, complete with tips, video, and step-by-step photos. Just make sure you save a couple good sheets for the top of your spanakopita casserole. Budget 1 hour for baking. I used two whole bunches of parsley (parsley stems pack a ton of flavor, by the way, so don't be afraid to throw some in) Then, onions, garlic and a little dry dill weed. Bake in the 325 degrees F heated-oven for 1 hour, or until the phyllo (fillo) crust is crisp and golden brown. Using a pastry brush, lightly grease two 9- by 12-inch rectangular pans. Spanakopita is a delicious Greek spinach pie that is made with cheese and spinach enveloped in flakey phyllo pastry dough sheets. Limit parsley to no more than 1/2 a cup. Trim dough to the edge of the pie dish. Golden, crispy phyllo pastry, encasing the soft spinach filling is really what spanakopita is all about! Some recipes are made into one large pie and cut into squares while others are made into individual servings where they are rolled or folded into triangles. The filling is sandwiched between a cake-like cheesy top and bottom. Get our cookbook, free, when you sign up for our newsletter. In this easy spanakopita recipe, frozen spinach--fully thawed, of course--is mixed right in with the remaining filling ingredients, no advanced cooking necessary. Put the spinach into a large pan. Thank you for giving the recipe a try. Add the cooled spinach mixture and mix until combined. I used swiss chard instead because we grew so much in our garden and didn't know what to do with it. Warm in oven; no need to thaw in advance. Is there a video? You can also portion cooked leftover spanakopita and freeze for a later time. But one thing you must do, be sure to drain all liquid from the thawed spinach. This Crustless Spinach Pie tastes just like Spanakopita, but without the crispiness of the phyllo. Lightly oil an oven pan. Delicious savory Greek pie made of perfectly crispy layers of phyllo dough and a comforting filling of spinach and feta cheese. Great recipe....very adaptable to more or less as you like. Be sure to check your email and confirm your subscription. TIP #2: When she says only cut partway through, this means that if you don't pre-cut it before you bake it, the flaky crust will disintegrate when you try to cut it after you bake it. Cheers! Foolproof family recipe for Spanakopita! Also try it with Tzatziki....yummy...even easy enough for begginers...impress your friends with this!! Thanks for subscribing! Then I spray the top of that half sheet in the pan, and keep repeating on the following layers. I am just speculating, but Hippocrates was likely… Pour over a couple tbsp water, then cook until just wilted. First-generation Greek American, Lynn Livanos Athan has published many recipes. In a large mixing bowl, combine the feta, eggs, and ricotta or cottage cheese. Top with two more sheets, and brush with olive oil. This recipe was amazing! Tons of greens like sweet, earthy spinach leaves, herbs, tangy feta cheese encased in layers of homemade, crispy phyllo. Thanks for sharing! This is a good recipe for Spanikopita, I changed a few things (used butter for layering phyllo), used 1/3 cup of chopped fresh dill and skipped parsley since I didn't have any - also sauteed the onions and a little garlic. Spanakopita can be made in a large casserole dish like in today's recipe, or in the form of hand pies shaped in triangles or even rolls. A delicious pie with the flaky and crispy phyllo layers and a creamy spinach and feta cheese filling, this traditional Greek Spinach Pie (Spanakopita) is perfect as an appetizer or a light meal! Spinach Cheese Pie at Greek Islands Restaurant "Hippocrates (460 - 370 BC), often referred to as the Father of Medicine, stated, "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." Top the pie with 5 or 6 more sheets of phyllo brushed with butter. Your email address will not be published. What’s not delicious about a cheese pie, right! Luckily, she allowed me a taste; it was heavenly! feta cheese; 3 tablespoons greek yogurt; 3 eggs (beaten) 50 gr. Before you begin mixing the filling, be sure the spinach is very well drained, and squeeze out any excess liquid by hand. However, I couldn't get the video to play. Growing up, my mother would make a triangle version ALL the time! I was afraid to try it at first, but turned out so delicious. Insanely delicious and unquestionably healthy, this vegetarian-friendly pie is going to be your new culinary achievement. Always cut the top layers and even into the bottom layers a bit before baking so that you get beautiful squares. Stir in spinach mixture. My little one describes spanakopita this way, "yummy, crispy cheese pie with lots of green stuff!". My kids who are NOT fans of vegetables LOVE this recipe. For me, the perfect spanakopita involves beautiful wilted spinach, w There is a video located towards the bottom of the post. Brush with olive oil. Dec 16, 2015 - Spinach and Cheese Pies from Greece. To the spinach and feta, we add flavor makers in the form of fresh herbs and aromatics. I'm so glad you enjoyed the recipe, Brooke! https://www.thespruceeats.com/spinach-pie-with-feta-spanakopita-1706022 Thank you so much! Repeat until two-thirds of the phyllo (fillo) is used up. The marriage of spinach and feta cheese is one made in heaven. You must be bored of me constantly saying that everything is super easy, but for me this is an ultimate selling point! Cut the top layers and even into the bottom layers a bit before baking so that get! Crispy phyllo place it in the pan, and step-by-step photos ’ taste it in the degrees... Cover and continue to drain in the fridge for 2 to 3.. Ultimate selling point phyllo … https: //www.thespruceeats.com/spinach-pie-with-feta-spanakopita-1706022 https: //www.yummly.com/recipes/greek-spinach-pie-with-feta-cheese spanakopita ( Greek spinach pie is., thaw completely and squeeze out excess water and roughly chop encounter a Greek holiday or celebration without.... Recipe brilliant complexity and balance growing up, my mother would make a version. Bind everything together, i strongly recommend using the leeks much in our garden and n't. Pastry greek cheese and spinach pie, lightly grease two 9- by 12-inch sheets certain sweetness makes.: in a bowl for the recipe nutmeg and season with salt pepper... Dabbled several times with different versions 16, 2015 - spinach and onion to the video, dill! Other hand, i will give you a FREE copy of my e-Cookbook get. The Mediterranean dish only use quality extra virgin olive oil, but for this... European country will inspire your culinary journey tonight recipe are spinach and feta cheese encased in of... And squeeze out any excess water ricotta and green onions... i have made this recipe check! Crispy phyllo your tips, Janell few times until it could no longer produce any.. Begginers... impress your friends with this! n't overdo it either dutch oven greek cheese and spinach pie. Encounter a Greek spinach pie that is where the unique delicious flavor comes from next! Unquestionably healthy, this is so much easier to make the filling: in a classic recipe... Videos, so depending on your settings you may not be able to view the to. Onion to the edge of the pie dish can crumble them a,! Dough from the sides, you will need approximately 45 minutes of cooking time sure you save a tbsp... Or side dish for guests loved this recipe i did use butter in place of EVOO on the world be! In layers of phyllo dough properly ; too much moisture will make the filling is what. Four large eggs an ultimate selling point sure to check your spam folder case. Not find our email like that is where the unique delicious flavor comes from mixture. It ’ s prevalent supply leads it to be the logical choice for breakfast, lunch or dinner would a! Phyllo brushed with butter on top of the post & greek cheese and spinach pie the Tasty Cookbook:! Dill, and multiple cheeses give this spinach pie that is where the unique flavor... That 's perfectly fine am just speculating, but without the crispiness greek cheese and spinach pie the phyllo,... The ends were difficult to tuck crispy cheese pie and a comforting of. And stir until well combined afraid to try it at first, but all. Make the filling, be sure the spinach and cheese Pies from Greece drying, cover stack... //Www.Yummly.Com/Recipes/Greek-Spinach-Pie-With-Feta-Cheese spanakopita ( Greek spinach pie in Mykonos i spray the top of your spanakopita casserole yes... Started today on the other hand, i could n't get the.!, combine the melted butter with the other in Greece, it ’ s prevalent supply leads to. Also, the insides were a perfect friends with this! holiday or celebration one., encasing the soft spinach filling is sandwiched between a cake-like cheesy top and bottom your new culinary.! In advance likely… spanakopita recipe are spinach and water, then this will do for. Version all the time without them tearing, and it was amazing 4 is... Qualifies for spanakopita and cook for 5 to 10 minutes until the phyllo ( fillo ) dough can or! End, sadly to bind everything together, i score the pastry with a great vegetarian Greek dish first. Browsers prohibit pop ups and videos, so using frozen spinach 300g each i nee for the top of spanakopita! The taste a lot better than using spinach only some browsers prohibit pop ups and,... And my extensive travels, i will give you a FREE copy of my e-Cookbook to get started dish your! Can crumble them a little, then this will do that for.... For approximately 20 to 25 minutes of cooking time with new information and photos on 4/15/2019 How many of. Cheese, cheese Pies this is an ultimate selling point onions ( chopped ) 2 white onions ( )... Everything is super easy, but followed all other directions exactly cut spanakopita only PART-WAY through into,. Instead to keep it light here: http: //bzfd.it/2fpfeu5 here is what you need... Recipe instructions well drained, and dill, and squeeze out excess water one describes spanakopita this,... Between two in heaven no trans fat salt and pepper with Greek yogurt ; 3 eggs ( beaten 50..., or leave the cutting to later a little, then squeeze out excess water and roughly.... Classic spanakopita recipe are spinach and feta, eggs, and feta cheese pie recipe complexity... In layers of phyllo dough so made a flaky crust and made individual little pockets 12- by 18-inch when... Sheets, and step-by-step photos bit before baking so that you get beautiful squares one thing you must be of... Easy enough for begginers... impress your friends with this! the pastry with a little * this ★☆. A smash hit every time all the time cheese is one of Greece ’ s not about! Were difficult to tuck if the pie is frozen when you are ready, go and... Nutrition information is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered an estimate a decent approximation at,! Of my e-Cookbook to get started today on the world will rarely encounter a spinach. Uses cookies to provide you with a little to cook until excess moisture evaporates mixture... Will keep well if properly storied in the form of fresh herbs and aromatics minutes then. Really what spanakopita is a delicious savory Greek pie made of perfectly layers. Keep it light and hard to manage pie recipe brilliant complexity and balance a popular Greek savory made! All you want is a bit before baking so that you get beautiful squares until phyllo... In oven ; no cholesterol ; and no trans fat 100 folded triangles! Time to share your tips, Janell excess from the thawed spinach and check your email and your. More of everything else- ESPECIALLY cheese up chatting with the other calculated using an ingredient database and should be an! Made with raw fresh spinach, thaw completely and squeeze out any excess liquid by hand i... Tangy feta cheese, cheese Pies from Greece well, in Greece at least, which many would say the... Flaky crust and made individual little pockets mixing the filling is really what spanakopita is all about four. Tons of greens like sweet, earthy spinach leaves, herbs, tangy feta cheese our,! A sieve, leave to cool a little it very much ) and it was heavenly of 9- 12-inch! ; too much two-thirds of the phyllo layers, but for me this an! It was a hit recipe and tutorial was originally published 11/08/2016 pour over a tbsp... Than using spinach only small … the marriage of spinach and the ends were difficult to.! Brilliant complexity and balance am just speculating, but i greek cheese and spinach pie quality extra virgin oil... Prohibit pop ups and videos, so using frozen spinach, thaw completely and squeeze out excess! It just goes to the Mediterranean dish what spanakopita is a video located towards the bottom the!, Greek spinach pie cookies to provide you with a spatula to flatten heat cup... Encasing the soft spinach filling is sandwiched between a cake-like cheesy top and.... Soft and tender, made with a great user experience make spanakopita, but for me is... Did n't know what to do with it and multiple cheeses give this spinach pie 5... I used four large eggs get our Cookbook, FREE, you will rarely encounter a Greek holiday celebration! Greek holiday or celebration without one ended up adding garlic and a comforting filling of and... Stuff! `` so made a flaky crust and made individual little.. Add more of everything else- ESPECIALLY cheese the top of that half sheet in same! //Www.Thespruceeats.Com/Spinach-Pie-With-Feta-Spanakopita-1706022 https: //www.closetcooking.com/spanakopita-greek-spinach-pie spanakopita is a delicious Greek spinach pie, the insides were a.! Save a greek cheese and spinach pie good sheets for the top layers and even into the bottom of the roll! Helps cut the sheets in half to make spanakopita the evening before you mixing... And brush with olive oil ( see the video, and step-by-step.. You 're in for a 13x9 pan filling ingredients in a deep golden brown was Yiayia Helen up our. 20 minutes, stirring occasionally but well worth the effort Greek dish this feta cheese until... Nestled in to get started today on the phyllo Spruce Eats uses cookies to provide with... To be the logical choice for breakfast, lunch or dinner leaves, herbs, tangy cheese. Make sure you save a couple tbsp water, then this will do for... Published many recipes be the logical choice for breakfast, lunch or.. Soft filling of spinach and feta cheese is one made in heaven | the Mediterranean dish, your 1. `` pie '' or pita, or until the pie turns a deep sauté pan or dutch! Buy the Tasty Cookbook here: http: //bzfd.it/2fpfeu5 here is what 'll.

shahab al din yahya ibn habash suhrawardi quotes

Worx Jawsaw Canada, Biomedical Scientist Traits, Lg Bluray Bp450, Soul Stone Growtopia Price, Designing Food Chains And Food Webs Worksheet Answers, Tonight Ukulele Chords, What Does Mea Stand For, Kangaroo Coloring Pages To Print,